Yay! You’ve decided to have your destination wedding on Maui. From our lush tropical gardens, to our white sand beaches, Maui offers some of the most scenic and romantic locations for your big day. You definitely won’t be disappointed. But as you may be finding out, having a destination wedding on Maui can be expensive, so we’ve pulled together some of our recommendations for non-negotiable items that you should include in your budget, as well as some of our favorite vendors on the island.
We may be a bit biased here, but an investment in a high-quality wedding photographer will ensure that your wedding memories will forever be captured. You want to make sure that your photographer understands your goals, your timeframe and your vision for your wedding photos on Maui, so be sure to ask them a few questions before you hire them. Interested in learning a bit about our process? We’d love to talk to you about shooting your big day.
Questions to Ask your Photographer:
Do you have insurance?
How long have you been a professional photographer?
How many weddings have you captured?
How do you approach your wedding couples day?
Are they an active member of PPA - Professional Photographers of America?
How long after the event will my images be ready?
How much time is needed to capture everything I want?
Do you offer additional services, touch up, albums, artwork?
It’s hard to go wrong picking a wedding location on Maui. But there are a few things that you should consider:
- The number of people who will be attending. Obviously, your expenses go up based on the number of people who will be attending.
- How adventurous your guests are. Some beach sites may not be easy for older guests or guests who have mobility issues.
- Do you want to be on the beach or on a hotel property? A simple beach wedding at sunset can be an economical and beautiful experience, but may not offer all of the amenities that a professional wedding venue can provide.
One of our favorite wedding venues on Maui is sugarbeacheventshawaii.com.
Hair and Makeup
Your wedding day is a once in a lifetime experience. You deserve to look and feel your best. We recommend that all of our brides hire hair and make-up experts. This will help ensure that your wedding photos POP and will have you feeling like the queen you are. A few things to think about:
- Find a hair and make-up professional with a portfolio of work that you like. If you’re looking for a specific look, be sure to share pictures and discuss your options with your hair and make-up professional.
- If you can, have a practice session with them a few days before the wedding. This will ensure that there are no hiccups on the day of.
- Depending on the time of year, it can be humid or windy on Maui and a professional can help you design a look that you’ll love and will stand up to whatever weather comes your way.
Hawaii and the island of Maui is known for its amazing tropical flowers. From orchids to birds of paradise, your wedding flowers can help set the tone for your Maui wedding. From modern to traditional, an investment in beautiful flowers will help to create the unique wedding ambiance that only Maui can provide.
A Maui-Based Wedding Planner
It may seem counter-intuitive to hire a wedding planner if you are trying to keep your wedding budget in check. However, hiring a Maui-based wedding planner can help you save big bucks. They have many local contacts/relationships, know all of the secret spots and can often help you avoid hiring the wrong vendors. A good wedding planner will take the pressure off of you, allowing you to fully enjoy your destination wedding on Maui.
Congratulations on your engagement and happy planning! We'd love to talk with you about how we can be a part of your big day!